Join the board
The LGBT Consortium is recruiting a Treasurer. This volunteer position is a strategic leadership role for the board and the the role will include maintaining an overview of the organisation's affairs, ensuring its financial viability and ensuring that proper financial records and procedures are maintained.
The Consortium has seen a lot of change over the past couple of years, reshaping to survive and become a more dynamic organisation and more responsive to its Members.
We are looking for someone with strong financial skills and who can communicate effectively.
You do not have to have direct experience in the LGBT voluntary sector but an understanding or appreciation of the unique needs of voluntary or second tier organisations would be an advantage. Someone with experience of fundraising for infrastructure organisations would be ideal.
In addition to time commitments attending board meetings and AGM, the Treaurer will be expected to liaise regularly with the Chief Executive on the preparation of appropriate financial reports.
Key Skills for the Role:
- Overseeing, approving and presenting budgets, accounts and financial statements
- Being assured that the financial resources of the organisation meet its present and future needs
- Ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place
- Advising on the financial implications of the organisation's strategic plans
- Ensuring that there is no conflict between any investment held and the aims and objects of the charity
- Ensuring the organisation's compliance with legislation
- Ensuring equipment and assets are adequately maintained and insured
- Ensuring that the accounts are prepared and disclosed in the form required by funders and the relevant statutory bodies, e.g. The charity commission and/or the registrar of companies
- If external scrutiny of accounts is required, ensuring that the accounts are scrutinised in the manner required (independent examination or audit) and any recommendations are implemented
- Keeping the board informed about its financial duties and responsibilities
- Contributing to the fundraising strategy of the organisation
- Making a formal presentation of the accounts at the annual general meeting and drawing attention to important points in a coherent and easily understandable way
If you are interested in applying or finding out more about this role please see the documents at the bottom of this page.
Applications are requested to be submitted to email@example.com.
The LGBT Consortium is the national membership association for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender charities and voluntary sector organisations. We focus on the development and support of LGBT groups, organisations and projects so they can deliver front line services and campaigns. Our core services and priorities include:
• Developing a shared long term LGBT sector vision
• Being a voice for the Membership and setting up a members council
• Linking the LGBT sector and facilitating collaborative working
• Collecting information relevant to the LGBT sector and sharing it
• Identifying gaps in sector provision and focussing capacity building
About Being a Trustee:
Trustees are ultimately accountable for the organisation and their governance responsibilities include developing strategy together with the chief executive officer, ensuring compliance with the law and maintaining proper financial oversight.
Our trustees are recruited for a term of three years and can serve a maximum of two terms. Board meetings take place quarterly, currently on a weekday evening, and usually last about four hours. You would also need to attend the AGM and Conference, as well as the occasional event or training.
Find out more or apply:
To find out more, or to apply to be a trustee, please download the application pack and forms below if you are interested in joining the Board